With children and adults alike, the idea of getting braces to correct misaligned teeth can be troubling. Social anxiety over traditional braces is understandable, but with Invisalign®, there is now another choice.
Invisalign® are clear retainers that are almost invisible when fitted onto your teeth, offering similar orthodontic correction as regular braces, but with a more discrete appearance. Invisalign® retainers are tailor-made, and are typically worn for a two-week period before you are given a new aligner. Treatment time is usually one year, with 18 – 30 retainers dependent on the individual.
Problems that are commonly corrected with Invisalign®:
- Overcrowding – When there is little space for teeth to align normally in the mouth, overcrowding can occur. This also causes the likelihood of gum disease and tooth decay.
- Large gaps between teeth – This can sometimes occur because teeth are missing or because the jaw continues to grow abnormally.
- Cross-bite – This common dental problem occurs when one or multiple upper teeth bite inside the lower teeth. As a consequence, uneven wear can lead to bone erosion and gum disease.
- Overbite – This problem occurs when the upper teeth project further than, or completely cover, the lower teeth. Eventually, jaw pain and TMJ may occur.
- Underbite – This is the inverse of the overbite; the lower teeth project further than, or completely cover, the upper teeth. Eventually, jaw pain and TMJ can occur.
- Open Bite – Occurs when there is a lack of physical contact between some teeth on the lower and upper jaw. This is caused by genetic abnormal jaw structure or excessive thumb-sucking which results in poor/painful chewing and speech impairment.
Some advantages with choosing Invisalign® vs. Braces include:
- The ability to eat whatever foods you enjoy
- The adaptability to remove the device whenever you want
- The convenience of brushing and flossing your teeth
- Less pain, discomfort or injuries to the gums
- Average cost is roughly $5000
Come in for a consultation to see if Invisalign® is right for you!